Are you feeling the fall breeze? Finally brought out the turtle necks and your snuggy (is that still a thing?). Now that Fall has arrived and “Winter is Coming”, we need to fill our souls with warmth (and patience for Season 7 of GoT!). I wanted to create a homemade drink that would keep me cozy as I sip my winter worries away.
Inspired by the tasty Mexican Mocha found in London Ontario’s Ritual Café, I set out to create an easy version in my cozy kitchen. Ritual uses cayenne for a kick, chipotle for a slow burn, and a homemade chocolate sauce, which can’t be beat. Like the Mexican Mocha, this Chili Hot Cocoa has a kick to it and will satisfy your taste buds. Better yet, this version requires a bit less expertise– and it’s still delicious! We guarantee that this sweet and spicy combo will keep you warm through the sweater weather.
What You Need to DIY
- ¾ cup of boiling water
- 1 cup of milk (I prefer 2% or whole milk)
- 2 tbs of cocoa powder
- a pinch of crushed chili flakes to taste
- 2 tbs of Agave Syrup
- Optional: small piece of Chocolate (I used Lindt Chili Dark Chocolate for extra flavour)
- Optional: whipped cream
- Cheese grater
Bring On the Action
- Heat water to boil
- On the stove top, heat the milk and chili together on low until bubbles start to form – that’s about 3-5 mins (Don’t let it boil! Milk will scald if it gets too hot, so keep an eye on it, stir constantly, and remove from heat right when it’s done.)
- Whisk the cocoa powder, boiled water, and agave syrup together.
- Pour the chili-infused milk over a strainer into your cup (For those cappuccino lovers, you can whisk the milk in the pot to get some froth)
- Serve with whipped cream and grated chocolate on top
*A little goes a long way with chili, so be careful!
*If you’re a home Barista and own a steam wand , opt for that over the stove top for your chili milk (steamed milk is always the best!)